Wednesday 19 September 2012

Village Boy Aboard

After an 8 hr flight to Amsterdam and 1 1\2 hrs from Amsterdam to Kristiansand, Norway, and 1 hr on road, Eva (my teammate) and I where warmly welcomed at HALD International Centre in Mandal, Norway. This is the school that will be training us for the next 5 weeks in readiness for the upcoming mission internship. This was my fist time to ever fly in a plane. And I have taken time to briefly share with you the journey of  the village boy from Kenya to a land only heard on peoples' lips as they said the stories.

AT SHIPHOL AIRPORT
We had a 5 hr wait at SHIPHOL Airport for our KLM flight to Norway. We did plenty of window shopping and walking up and about. We at least had Dutch fish n Chips for lunch for 6,25 € each.We also met a US Citizen but Kenyan born lady by the name Lucy, who apparently could tell, just by looking at us, that we were Kenyan (that's what she said). She was on transit to Kenyan and had missed her flight. After sharing with her we realised that she was a strong Christian. She actually prayed for us after we told her what we were now engaged in. God was indeed with us.

IN THE PLANE
During our flight from Kenya I was disappointed that my seat's TV screen couldn't work. However, I opted to read a book titled Courage & Calling that indeed gave me deeper insights about my calling. In between,I ate, slept, and paved up and about the KQ 116 Boeng plane, once in a while peeping through the window for beautiful bird's eye view. I was puzzled by the beautiful scenarios of the Sahara desert and Mediterranean Sea.
 At 8:45 pm we were aboard KLM 1112 to Kristiansand, where we were conspicuously the only dark-skinned passengers. At some point I couldn't believe that was real. 

MANDAL
On arrival at our new home we were met by a few of the other students and 1 staff member. My very first culture shock was the meal that we were about to take.I couldn't tell where to begin from though I was desperately hungry. I ate any way wishing something like Ugali-sukuma wiki was close by.

That's just a summary of my first day at the North Pole, where the Sun is setting between 9-10 pm,the dark skinned a minority,dust is a word hardly mentioned, and where we are only getting a hot meal during Lunch hour.



2 comments: