Monday 8 October 2012

One Language-One Message

I have never travelled any where further than my home country Kenya, apart from going down south to my friends in Tanzania for a brief retreat. That then tells you that I am more curious than ever before to learn and share my experiences from places like the samba, where soccer is not a luxury but a way of life. A place like this where I am not hearing people talk about their tribal lines but enjoy and brag about the depth of their multiculture and yet speak one language as one-Portuguese.

Faces of students epitomizing a multiculture that I have never witnessed before. 
Italians, Spaniards, Asians, Dutch, Africans...and the list goes on,
Today marks 6 days in Brasil, but I feel as if it has been more than that. Maybe it is the warmness, kindness, and hospitality of the Brasilians that really makes me feel part and parcel of this epitome of beauty-diversity. You may not understand this untill you set your foot at the airport and the first thing you get is a bottle of cold water to quench your thirst and a kiss on you cheek. He he...ask Eve my co-missionery. She received both. You feel as if they have longed to meet you and finally you are at home away from home.
 Bible study group at Mackenzi University. We had traslators during the BS
 because most of the students do not speak English.

Last week I was able to finally meet the students that I will be working closely with. I visited University Of Mackenzie, Saõ Paulo where I attended a Bible study fellowship of about 10 students. We studied the Bible from the book of John 1 led by a student called Gabrielo. He was doing it in Portugeuse as Marcello (another student) translated the message to us. This was not easy at all for either of us. It was language barrier at its best. However, after the Bible study, in an interesting turn out of events, we found our selves singing songs of worship to God in different languages but same message. This was the peek of this episode. An episode filled with this beauty of language in music.
Singing with students after the Bible Study. We sung one song,with one message,
but in different languages.


1 comment:

  1. Cool to see that you where well recieved!
    Hope you are doing well.
    Greetings from Norway
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete